Austen


If there is one thing I'd like to have in my own house in the future, it would be a library. One as jaw-dropping as Belle's in Beauty and the Beast.

My love for books started when I was around 11 years old and curious when I discovered a novel my dad bought way back 1985. It was JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit. Well I've read some few Sweet Valley High's but they weren't enough to keep me wanting to read more until I've read The Hobbit. That was probably the only novel my dad ever bought.

So I started borrowing books from the library and my friends. Buying wasn't really an option. My allowance doesn't do me well. And my dad doesn't support me with this hobby. He's a huge huge huge reader, except for fiction. He'd rather buy me a new collection of General Information books rather than buying me novels. Argh. T_T

I go to malls usually ending up in bookstores. Looking for books I've heard/read some good stuff about. Most of the time I wish I hadn't entered because I would only be skimming through pages and putting them back on the shelves and be sad at the fact that I cannot bring them home.

Yesterday I was at Fully Booked in Ayala trying to decide if I should buy Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility since it was at a really reasonable price and it came in a good package but I ended up putting it down because I remembered I had more important stuff to buy ASAP. Austen could wait--for years, I'm sure.

I was lining up in the cashier for my cheap item (a birthday card) when this man in front of me, along with his late-teen-year-old-looking daughter looking so excited, spoke in a very loud voice asking if he has a membership discount. The lady behind the cashier then packing like TEN POCKETBOOKS answered him, "Yes, sir. That would be 3,***.00 all in all."

If my ears had jaws, they would have dropped right away. But they didn't. And I almost died of jealousy. But before my demise, I remembered my own tiny conflict between Austen and my money, and the birthday card I was about to buy and I thought, "I'm sticking with you, birthday card. Austen is dead. So am I soon."

Jane Austen Portrait by stargatequeen on DA.

3 comment/s:

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ching said...

i borrow loads of books from the lib too. Sidney Sheldon mostly..

Christina Tan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...