Lost Art: Tangible Letters

I have a special love for tangible letters.

Back when I was in high school my favorite girl, Jane, asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I couldn't think of any. Not that I don't want any gift--who wouldn't? I just can't think of anything so I told her to just write me a card / letter for Christmas. It must have left her puzzled 'cause she gave me a shirt. Not the wearable shirt though but the kind of shirt with "I Love Cebu" printed on it that you hang in your car . Back then letters were synonymous to tiny nationalistic shirts. But it's true that wisdom grows with age 'cause years later letters didn't mean shirts anymore. That's some tongue twister for you.

Reading a letter and holding it at the same time is a package of delight. The touch of paper, calligraphy, ink, dents and whatnot. I'm talking textural but we know it's more than that.

A custom-made valentine card I got from my seatmate in high school.


"Please promise me to read this alone." 
Secrets :P I had to blur part of my pseudoname to save my dignity. 
Talk about crushes and obsessions.


What's sweeter than a tangible letter is the surprise of having it right there before your eyes within your reach. I like sending mails via post office for one reason: Stamps. Courier services don't have that, do they?

The downside is that unless you send it way earlier, it reaches the address so late no matter the distance. I am fine with delayed gratification though. I don't know if it's only in the Philippines where it takes 4 months for a mail to reach an address a few kilometers away from the post office. If I feel the itch on my wandering legs I sometimes send it house to house with limited radius, of course.

Just last week I found a mail on my table. My excitement was as quick as my disappointment when I found out it was a mail I sent last Christmas, SEVEN months ago. It was addressed to a friend who lived 2 kilometers from my house. I should have included a sketch on it. Mails boomerang, too, you know, albeit in a span of months. You get a "Merry Christmas" card on the month of July. *FACEPALM*

SNAIL MAILS are the sweetest! =)


And don't you just love the memories that go along with the letters. You can re-read them a million of times even without electricity. That's me favoring handwritten letters over electronic mails.

Santa's letter way back Christmas 1998. Oh, memories.



I have a lot of postcards in my drawer, too. I keep them in the hope of mailing them to someone someday. I mailed a couple of them to some parts of the world. If you give me your address I might send you one too. 

SERIOUSLY.

2 comment/s:

Nhei said...

heya tina!!! love this! i can relate! heheheh.. love the pix too!!! who took it?

-nhei
P.S i forgot my password for blogspot..

Rosita said...

Hey there!

I loved your post and I'm a huge fan of sending letters, postcards and packages all over the world. I've been pen-palling for like 20 years (I'm 27) and I still keep it up.
I also love sending postcards to random people who's addresses I've found on photos of letters/postcards online, so I was so happy to see that I'm not the only one!
If you ever have the time, my address is;
Rosita Stotzky
Karlsgatan 20
70341 Örebro, Sweden
No preassure, but I'd love a postcard (:

take care
&
keep writing!
/Rosita

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...